Week Ending November 7, 2022

A Proclamation on National Lung Cancer Awareness Month, 2022
“During National Lung Cancer Awareness Month, we are inspired by the courage and fight of the millions of patients, survivors, caregivers, doctors, researchers, and advocates battling this terrible disease — the leading cause of cancer deaths in the United States.  For the loved ones we have lost and all those we can save, we recommit to investing in cutting-edge screening, prevention, and treatments, making them more affordable and effective, and uniting this country in our movement to end cancer as we know it.”

Disparities in Lung Cancer Detection: Moving Toward Equity & Inclusion
“Communities, organizations and health professionals are taking action to improve inequalities in lung cancer detection. Anita Kinney, PhD, RN, FAAN, FABMR director of the Cancer Health Equity Center of Excellence at Rutgers School of Public Health and Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey, the state’s leading cancer program and only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center together with RWJBarnabas Health, explains the impact of disparities on lung cancer, how these disparities are being addressed today and where to find screening resources.”

Lung cancer: Chances, symptoms and prevention
“The stats can look scary: Lung cancer is the third most common cancer and also the deadliest. Every year, lung cancer claims more lives than breast, colon and prostate cancers combined.”

New Gene Target for Aggressive Lung Cancer Discovered
“Northwestern Medicine scientists have identified and described a new gene that is responsible for activating an aggressive subtype of small-cell lung cancer, the P subtype, for which there is no current effective treatment. The findings were published recently in Science Advances.”

The importance of early screening for lung cancer
“People who are age 50 and above and who smoked at least a pack of cigarettes a day for 20 years are eligible for low-dose CT scans to check for lung cancer, a disease that was once considered a fatal diagnosis but is now much more treatable.”

Early Signs Of Lung Cancer You Should Be Aware Of
“Lung cancer refers to cancer that begins in the lungs. According to the American Cancer Society, there are two main types of lung cancer: non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) and small cell lung cancer (SCLC). NSCLC is the most common type of lung cancer, accounting for about 85 percent of all cases. The three main subtypes of NSCLC are adenocarcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and large cell carcinoma. SCLC accounts for the remaining 15 percent of lung cancers.”

Biomarker Testing Informs Lung Cancer Treatment: One Patient Tells Her Story
“This Lung Cancer Awareness Month (LCAM), Georgia native, Gwen, shares how lung cancer impacted her and her family, and the vital role comprehensive biomarker testing played in her treatment.”